Type of technology that uses living organisms and their biological processes to create improved products that are beneficial to humans in some way. 2 Types:
1.TRADITIONAL BIOTECHNOLOGYUse of microorganisms to obtain useful products.
- In the food industry (dairy products...)
- In the pharmaceutical industry (vacines and antibiotics)
- In the chemical industry (chemical products)
- In enviromental conservation (to treat rubbish and sewage
2. MODERN BIOTECHNOLOGY
Advances in genetic engineering.
- AGRICULTURAL AND LIVESTOCK USES:
- Cloning: creating various copies of a gene or obtaining genetically identical organisms. Animal clones can be produced by dividing embryonic cells or implanting a nucleous in an ovum which has had its nucleous removed.
- Creating genetically, modified organisms: This organisms have traits wich the original organism did not have because they have been given genes from another organism.
- BIOMEDICAL USES:
- Production of human substances using genetic engineering techniques.
- Prevention of genetic diseases.
- Gene therapy.
- Use of genetically modified substances.